Saturday, January 03, 2009

Triplets For Obama


I was asked on the Barack Obama (One Million Strong for Barack) Facebook group page if the girls are mixed--yes, they are I am Africa-American and my husband is Italian-American Actually, the fact that Barack Obama is a "mixture" solidified the girls' support for him Last April or so Abby, Leah & Zoë came home from school pretty upset by a classmate's comments This young lady (just for clarity, of Jamaican decent) announced on the playground, ‘I don’t like white people or mixtures’ Living in a very diverse community that celebrates not only religious, but also cultural and ethnic differences this declaration had me stymied at first but thought it would be a good teaching moment The girls and I had a long talk about embracing differences but also acknowledging that not everyone is going to be as open I went on to say that there are not too many people in the United States who are not some sort of ‘mixture’ and that is one of the things that makes this country great After asking what ‘mixtures’ are in our family but also those of our neighbors, Zoë asked, if Barack Obama was a mixture and I said yes his mother was White and his father was from Africa This revelation brought a smile to the girls’ faces and that was when the word ‘mixture’ went from a put down to being a put-up Abby, Leah & Zoë are very proud to say they are ‘mixtures’ as is the next President of the United States

No comments: